Monday 30 September 2013

Depots in the rain

Good evening everyone!

Back to my normal Monday slot, hopefully you will have seen that last weeks hiatus was because I was busy promoting European Day of Languages - if you are quick you can still get 10% off all languages toys at www.rachelstoyshop.co.uk until 1st October.

This week I was thinking about what happens when you don't work on something full time, as I don't currently on the shop - deliveries are a real problem (as you will have seen the previous arrangement of having them delivered to my mums office was bonkers). I often return home to a "sorry you were out" card, and it won't come as a massive shock that the main delivery companies don't have depots in Wigan. So I often have to drive to Preston, worst case scenario is near Liverpool airport. The amount I spend on petrol sort of negates me getting free delivery from my suppliers.

One thing I have noticed is that (male) depot staff often like to leave women standing in the rain at security gates. Perhaps I am reading too much into this, but I have often been standing at the locked turnstile, trying to resist the urge to press the call button repeatedly as I get soaked.

UKMail are the worst - they are like Fort Knox to get in there - but if you are dropping something off I have found sometimes they just say (without looking up) "leave it on the chair, love". Very security conscious.

One evening after being left in the rain for 10 minutes before I gave up and walked under the lorry entrance barrier, I left my parcel "on the chair" in the waiting room as directed. As I walked out a customer who was waiting for her parcel said to me as I left - "I wouldn't use them, love, they're useless". Thanks for the helpful comment I thought.

Well, maybe she had a sixth sense, as I checked the tracking next morning, and it just said "delayed". It stayed like that all day, so I phoned them just before they shut.

Me:  "What does"delayed" mean?  I paid for next day delivery"

Chap : "let me have a look, madam. Oh I see. Yes, I'm afraid we've sent it to Ireland by mistake, but I'm happy to say it will be back in the country tomorrow morning. "

Me: "you have to be kidding me, the customer paid for next day delivery, I'll have to refund it"

Chap: "I suggest you phone the IPostParcels number and ask for compensation"

Me: "you own IPostParcels!"

Chap: "yes but it's a different number for compensation"

So I phone and was fobbed off to an online query form. I got an email with my compensation - 10% off my next order, within 2 weeks. 60p then. Brilliant.

So I vowed not to use them again but they are the most convenient, and I haven't had any trouble since (touching wood as I type).

My favourite is TNT though - they phone me ( not the other way round) to rearrange delivery, they let me drive right up to the door, and they insist in loading my boxes into the car. I may be small now but one day......

....here's hoping!  I quite fancy my own fleet of branded vans :)

No comments:

Post a Comment